Located east of its namesake river in southeast Washington, D.C., Anacostia was one of the first suburbs of the District of Columbia. The name Anacostia has sometimes loosely been used to refer to all the neighborhoods southeast of the Anacostia River. However, the area is properly bounded by Good Hope Road to the north, Suitland Parkway to the south, Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue to the east, and Fort Stanton Park to the west. The historically residential neighborhood has seen periods of growth and decline since its inception but is currently in the midst of a vital resurgence.
Anacostia was incorporated as Uniontown in 1854 and originally served as housing for employees of the Washington Navy Yard located across the river. In the mid 1900’s, the neighborhood experienced a flight of residents as highways were built leading to newer suburbs outside the District. Today, Anacostia is experiencing a period of rejuvenation thanks to renewed investment by the city and other stakeholders as well as active civic participation by both new and longtime residents. The neighborhood currently enjoys a booming art scene with new additions such as the Honfleur Gallery, Project Create, The Gallery at Vivid Solutions, and the Anacostia Arts Center joining established cultural attractions like the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, the American Poetry Museum, and the Anacostia Community Museum. In addition, the main commercial corridors of Good Hope SE and Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE are home to a diverse and growing array of local shops and eateries including Nubian Hueman Boutique, Uniontown Bar & Grill, and Nurish Food + Drink. Capitalizing on this trend, Four Points Development and Curtis Investment Group have plans to combine eight lots along Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE and develop a mixed-use community containing 130 residential units with retail or office space, and a theater.